Monday, November 17, 2008

humor, and the art of suffering




There are few things we value as much in our home as humor. We love to laugh, and we laugh a lot in our house. Nothing gives me more joy than being with my family. We laugh with each other, at each other and mostly, at ourselves. I think it may be the most honest thing in world, laughter.


It pains me to watch someone who cannot enjoy themselves or those with whom God has placed them. Although sometimes my own intensity belies my commitment to fun, I believe that in the grand scheme of things - underneath all the hurt and depravity of lostness, and the seriousness with which we (or I) approach life – there is a tinge of humor, an underlying joy to life and a hope in eternity that peeks through and tickles the feet of those willing to laugh; I am learning to recognize and understand the fruit of suffering, (which is) the budding character of a man.


I thank God that He purposes in me a likeness to His Son by the sufferings of the day, for otherwise I am lost, lost to wonder - what will become of me. James 1; 1Peter 1; Romans 5

As my friend Del Griffith so eloquently stated: “I... I... I like me, my wife likes me...” To be the real article; a what you see, is what you get kinda guy…

No comments:

Post a Comment